Great bike parking everywhere: encouraging more people to ride to more places.
Growing everyday cycling by helping businesses recognise, value and support their bike using customers
Why biking and why Bikes Welcome?
Regular bike use is great for people, health, business, communities and the environment.
Almost anyone can ride a bike: and it is the third most popular form of active recreation in NZ, encompassing all sections of society.
We believe that change is possible.
Everyday cycling can become popular and normal with the right kind of support.
That means safe places to ride and a supportive environment that fosters and encourages change. It’s about hearts as well as hardware.
Bikes Welcome are helping grow everyday biking by:
- Encouraging bike use by normalising it and providing facilities for bike users such as bike parking.
- Showing that ‘bikes mean business’, and ask businesses to show their support.
- Saying “yes! I bike” or “yes, I support biking”. By requesting a business to become a Bikes Welcome Business, or by displaying the Bikes Welcome logo you show that cycling is something you value.
We aim to grow everyday bike use.
We want to make everyday bike use easier, more attractive and ‘normal’.
We can help do this by helping bike-users get great bike parking where they need it, and by facilitating positive and fruitful conversations between business, councils and individuals.
- Are choosing to cycle to everyday places and demonstrating that it can be done.
- Need a safe and accessible spot to park our bikes at all kinds of everyday destination, and
- When we cycle to work we want a place for our bike, our gear, and if possible shower and locker facilities.
It’s about making riding a normal everyday activity: just like brushing your teeth.
That’s why we mostly talk about bike-users, and not ‘cyclists’….. using a toothbrush each day doesn’t make me a tooth-brushest!
What is everyday biking?
Bikes Welcome want more kiwis using their bikes everyday and everywhere… riding to the shops, on errands, to meet with friends, to an appointment.
Read more about everyday biking.
Why everyday biking?
- Riding short distances to the shops or cafe are a great way to start biking more. It helps build the confidence and experience needed to even consider biking to work.
- Overseas it is common place for people to ride in everyday clothes for everyday purposes.
- Seeing people biking for everyday purposes shows that a different way of doing things is possible and it doesn’t have to mean wearing lycra or other special gear.
Jo Clendon started Bikes Welcome because she loved getting around by bike, but was pretty frustrated and disappointed with the state of everyday cycling in New Zealand.
Frustrated with a lack of bike parking, and
Disappointed that most businesses and councils see cycling as something you do on the weekend wearing lycra.
So she decided that she wanted to do something to:
Make everyday cycling more normal and popular
Improve the availability of quality bike parking – everywhere!
What is great bike parking?
Great bike parking is handy, safe, responsible and practical.
- Handy: close to our destination, preferably at the door.
- Safe: visible, non-damaging to our bikes or other property, doesn’t create an obstacle or pedestrian hazard.
- Responsible: doesn’t impede access to or visibility of businesses or organisations.
- Practical: Accessible and easy to use.
Making it easier to ask for bike parking
Why bike parking?
It is normalising.
It is simple.
What people have to say about Bikes Welcome
Getting more people cycling is a priority for the Government and the Bikes Welcome Initiative looks to be a great way to support cycling at a local level. This would be complementary to the work the NZTA is doing in our towns and cities in partnership with local councils.
The idea of having a postcard to present to businesses is a good one. It is certainly something CAN would be able to help with, by sharing info & resources to members round the country
Having easily accessible and visible bike parking will help grow the culture of cycling. And that is good for everyone. It decreases the number of cars on the road, reduces pollution and carbon emissions, and increases well being.
Love the mission of Bikes Welcome!
Everyone is on-board with the idea of more bike parking!
Awesome idea! I always wish there were better parks around town 🙂
Bikes Welcome is an initiative that truly embodies the meaning of resilience. In a time when every sector of society is being called upon to reduce carbon emissions and fight obesity any encouragement to create a biking culture is a fundamental necessity.
The ways we help
Bike parking shows your support for everyday biking.
We can help you:
Engage with your bike-users. Find out where they want bike-parking and make it easier for them to ask for it in a way that works for you.
Choose good bike parking. Information and resources to help you choose bike parking that works for everyone.
Supporting the businesses that support biking.
Our Bikes Welcome Business directory helps you find businesses that support biking – so you can support them.
Bikes Welcome businesses get to display the Bikes Welcome Sticker and are listed in our online directory
Check out our Bikes Welcome Business Directory.
Read the latest posts from our blog
How can you make biking better in your town? There are many ways, and some of them can be fun.read more
We are running a competition giving businesses a chance to win some bike parking. To find out more head over to our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/bikeswelcome/read more
District plans are like the rule book for private developers and council planning officers. By getting end of trip facilities like bike parking in district plans, you can help ensure that people who cycle will be encouraged by great bike parking for customers and employees, as well as showers and lockers for employees who run or cycle to or during work. Here’s some help on what to ask for and how to ask for it.read more