Situation Specific Designs
Some bike rack designs are suited to specific applications and situations, or may work in combination with the inverted-U design.
- Useful in residential and workplaces in addition to floor based parking. (note 1).
- Ensure the bike can be securely locked to the wall
Note 1: Two Tier and vertical bike parking require the user to lift their bike. Not all users or bikes are suited to lifting (e.g. heavier ebikes). Because of this, upper-tier or vertical bike parking should only be used where space saving is required, and for ⅓ of the supply or racks/stands, with preference given to floor mounted bike parking wherever possible.
Triathalon Style Racks
- Useful for short-stay event bike parking when bikes will be secured by patrols or locked compounds.
- Using a ticket system provides extra security
- More suited to sports bikes
- Useful in residential and workplace situations where ground level parking is also provided.
- The design should include a ‘lift assist’ mechanism
- A rail securely mounted to a wall, either horizontally or vertically can provide an adequate support and locking point for a bicycle for short stay parking.
- Particularly useful when there is insufficient path or frontage space for the preferred Inverted U design.
- Using a parking space to install bike parking either temporarily on a moveable platform, or permanently in-ground
- A secure locker designed to accommodate a single bike is a good long stay bicycle parking option particularly for transit hubs or residential situations.
- A visually permeable design is better for crime prevention.
Post mounted bike hoops
- Care must be taken that the post is securely fixed and cannot be lifted out of the ground easily
- Ensure ‘door zone’ of adjacent parked cars is avoided
- Suitable for short-stay visitor parking e.g. cafes, medical centres. Also good for schools.
- Disadvantage: the bays are often spaced very closely limiting user access and increasing risk of damage to bikes. Because of this it is hard to fill them to the stated capacity.