Bike parking doesn’t have to be boring. Of course it is essential that it is functional, but why stop there?
It can be colourful
It can be quirky
It can make a statement about your brand or product
It can make a statement about bike use
It can be clever, creative and inspiring
It can be beautiful, local and original
And it can roll with the times, and cater for different bikes, like cargo and e-bikes
So if you are shopping for bike parking, think outside the square (or hoop, or staple, or toast rack….). Our Kiwi bike parking suppliers have awesome can-do attitudes and can get a design made up for you. Just make sure you get the right balance of form and function.
What makes a good bike rack?
- It supports the frame (not just the wheels)
- The bike is well supported in more than one point of contact (so it doesn’t ‘dance’ around it’s support)
- It enables secure locking (of frame to immovable object)
- There is enough space between bikes (for access and avoiding damage)
- There is enough parking provided
- It doesn’t obstruct or impact the safety of other users of the space
- It is an area with passive or active surveillance (to avoid theft of accessories/bikes)
- It is convenient (you can just rock up, find it, and park your bike)
- It looks like bike parking (so not so artistic that it can’t be recognised!)
- Undercover is rather nice, if possible
Thankfully the folk at Austroads have broken all this down into lots of detail, so if you like details or need them, here they are in all their glory. Everything you wanted to know about Bike Parking…..
When you install bike parking, the position really matters….. that way it will be correctly used and make your investment of time and money worthwhile. The guide published by Austroads will steer you in the right direction.
How do you find good bike racks?
Great question. Check out these suppliers. Remember if you are going to invest in bike parking, do it once and do it right. Otherwise you might be disappointed when it is not used or complained about….
wheel benders are kind of like giving dead flowers. It might be the thought that counts…. but it won’t win you any love.